Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Employee
dwallace

Sage SalesLogix LAN, Web, and Mobile Client Support

Sage is committed to the success and longevity of the Sage SalesLogix product line as it represents a strategic and growing component of Sage’s mid-market business management solution portfolio globally.  Sage SalesLogix has received a number of accolades such as annual recognition in Gartner's SFA Magic Quadrant and Forrester's CRM Wave vendor evaluations, market leadership awards from CRM industry publications including CRM Magazine and SearchCRM.com, and being named a finalist for the Best Enterprise CRM award in November 2010 in the Software Satisfactions Awards in London.

Sage SalesLogix continues to support a variety of client deployment options including a Web client, a Windows (also known as LAN or Network) client, and a Mobile client.   The Windows client, as well as the other clients, will continue to be enhanced and updated.  There are no current plans to remove the Windows client from the product offering, nor has a retirement schedule been announced. Each client option offers a unique and valuable benefit to our customers and continues to receive benefit from improvements to the product through feature enhancements to the client framework and to the underlying platform.   

Please use plain text.
Bronze Super Contributor
RRaebiger

Re: Sage SalesLogix LAN, Web, and Mobile Client Support

Thanks for this important information. Makes some things, regarding the LAN-Client, much clearer.

Regards

Regards
Rainer Raebiger
Please use plain text.
Bronze Super Contributor
pjames95003

This is useful information.   So, it's been a year since you posted this.  Is Sage's intent still to continue to offer and enhance the LAN product into the future?  Many of us need to plan our infrastructure needs several years in advance, and if Sage does have an agenda to move everyone to the web and mobile versions, then I know your customers would be very appreciative and likely more loyal to your product offerings if this was disclosed well in advance.

My concern is that the official line will be "We'll continue to enhance and support LAN", but in reality, you will pretty much just continue to support it, while putting virtually all effort into enhancement to the Web version. Point in case is our recent LAN upgrade from 7.2.4 to 7.5.4 where our 'Enhanced functionality" pretty much consisted of being able to add notes to activities.

I sense what's going on behind the curtain is a strategy of continuing to put all effort into the web version until it is so far beyond the LAN functionality that most users will eventually decide it makes no sense to continue with the LAN and voluntarily move to the web until the LAN user base is so low that you can just eliminate it completely saving you a ton of money on continued development and support of the product offering.

Sure, some people might be annoyed that they have a large investment in LAN customizations that cannot be ported over to the web version without significant cost, but they would probably rather know now, so that they can start the wheels in motion to be ready down the road.

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
MikeSpragg

I sincerely hope this isn't the case. In our experience, giving someone a reason to look elsewhere because they are annoyed that their maintenance dollar (pound in our case) is being spent on something that is of no use to them simply means they will activelylook elsewhere entirely. Just my 2c (p!). You are right, those customers are loyal and have kept the maintenance/support spend going (sometimes a lot of money for those with large installs) even in these austere times. It's patently a kick in the teeth to say "upgrade or else". Hence, they just go looking. So, I'm fairly sure Dave's message is the same as it ever was (I hope!).
Please use plain text.
Bronze Super Contributor
pjames95003

hmmm...  I love to see what enhancements are being planned for the next LAN release so I can start building my excitement. Perhaps, the last round was concentrated on Web enhancements and this time it will be on LAN enhancements, but it seems to me, you'd probably need two separate development teams for that, and it might be more difficult to get folks excited about working in the "old" technologies.

Please use plain text.
Gold Super Contributor
RJLedger

One of the enhancements that I (and I am sure just about every loyal Saleslogix Windows/LAN customer) would like to see is to fix the "distance/WAN" problem.

Based on a lot of discussions w/others (partners and some SalesLogix dev folks) over the years, is the Library/Attachments/Document (Mail Merge) use of the "Windows File Share Protocol" (SMB). MS really never designed it to be used at a distance. If this were replaced with the approach that "queue files" use  or even better.. have it use the SData protocol... then A SalesLogix Windows/LAN client connecting to the "Cloud" would be a reality..

Just think... the ability to use ALL the client apps

- Client/Server Windoes/LAN "fat" client

- SalesLogix Web app

- Mobility

either on-premise and/or in the cloud! This woudl enable existing Windows/LAN users to migrate to the cloud by:

a - Set up a SalesLogix server in a public/private (or even use the Saleslogix in the cloud on Amazon EC ;-)

b - repoint your Saleslogix connection on the client to the new server

c - Done! 

Also, a great way to get rid of Remote Users and Remote Office servers!

.. anyone else think this is good?

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Please use plain text.
Bronze Super Contributor
pjames95003

I like it RJ!

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
MikeSpragg

Well, if anything - it was the last several rounds! But, to be fair, this more than makes up for the fact that the SLX web used to be the ugly cousin no-one talked about! Nowadays, it's so much better than it ever was - I just think now is the time to bring it back to a level playing field with each getting fair updates. I know that there was talk of a newly refreshed LAN client (using the latest Dephi etc) to support ANSI code-sets/languages without the need for db changes (Dave: Still happening?), plus a skin refresh, and it would be nice to get the timeline control in there (for equal footing). But, generally, there also needs to be less of a techie focus (no one upgrades because of technology) and to start putting some more emphasis on the needs of the users/productivity and some competition lead gains (or leapfrog). That said, some changes around the 64bit arena probably wouldn't go amiss - faster, quicker is never to be sniffed at.
Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
RJSamp

[ Edited ]

After having coded this all years ago for a customer.....am still waiting for SLX to overhaul Events and Activities. Heck, even Laura Carson and Patrick Sullivan the Younger promised to get into this!

google calendar format support?

Events aren't necessarily User oriented......they should be 'viewed' by Team, including Everyone. So HR can post the corporate holiday schedule, your vacation schedule can Free\Busy with your boss and peers, and Trade Shows can post to Marketing, Sales, and Top Executive teams. A SalesLogix Customer in Lincoln Nebraska would want the entire Big Red football schedule posted to all user's......absolutely.

And Activities (history) still doesn't get it.....

Who attended the meeting includes ContactS and UserS. that would be carried forward to History (note the use of the past tense: attendED).

and a lot of other entities (products, literature \ presentation pieces, resources, URL's, anything that supports a meeting or phone call!).

I always thought that SLX was going .NET (you know, like since version 5).....why do we need Delphi 7+? Why aren't we coming up with some sort of MVVM \ XAML snappy LAN architecture with a shared (with Web, Mobile) business rule library.....you know sData kinds of stuff. This can't be a version 6.1 change a few forms to the new vbScript stuff kind of effort......this needs to be a version 9 (yes it was going to be done in 7, then in 8...) every form in the EVAL database is now using the new C# .Net forms and the new MVVM coding standing. If we are going to be using sData grids on the LAN....then let's see EVERY grid in the Eval and OOTB Blank databases using this new coding standard....calling new SLX Database Support.cs library's. Then when we have to code our own customized grids, we know how to implement CRUD correctly in a maintainable understandable standardized format. If the new standard is non databound fields and throw away if cancelled record sets (see Opp Product, Product, Add Contact Account, Address sub systems) then ALL forms should be done this way.

And yes, LitRequest and LitRequstItem tables need their own unique record ID's after 15 years. Just because someone blew it in 1996 doesn't mean we can't fix it in 2013. Speaking of Product.ActualID, History.CompletedUser, Product.Vendor, Product.Supplier......

We're STILL doing Server Side grid sorts instead of local recordset sorts......OUCH.

Bottom Line: I think we're all tired of the numerous versions of IdeaLogix over the past 15 years and their absolute failure to meet customer requests for functionality in a timely fashion.

RJ Samp
Please use plain text.