Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
JWLambert

SalesLogx LAN v7.5.1 and Windows 7 / Office 2010

Am looking for any input from folks that have already been here.  I have a client with about 600 users globally running on SLX 7.5.1 where the corporation will be migrating from XP to Windows 7 in the near future.  This client also has four remote office databases, a sync server and about 35 remote users.  As you might imagine, for them to upgrade SLX is no easy task, especially given how locked down their environment is and the effort to create install packages within their software distribution system, test....

The current testing quickly shows that there are some screen refesh issues.  Open an Account, click a Contact hyperlink, go back to Account and the right half of the screen is gone.  Curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

So, I'm trying to find out if ANYONE has had any luck getting the SLX 7.5.1 LAN client running on Windows 7.  They do integrate with Outlook.

This client also runs Visual Analyzer, so, any input there would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers,

Jeff

Please use plain text.
Gold Super Contributor
RJLedger

Re: SalesLogx LAN v7.5.1 and Windows 7 / Office 2010

Well.. you don't really "migrate from XP to Windows 7.. it's a new install. So, since they are goingthru all of this, doing an upgrade to v7.5.4 (yes, SP 4 is in RC right now) you should consider doing the jump as part of thr effort.

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Please use plain text.
JWLambert

Hi RJ,

Yes, I'd agree they "should" do this but it is a rather large, global company with a few thousand employees and a packaging group that is trying to deal with hundreds of app builds....  I'm sure you've been here.  On top of this they will be migrating off SalesLogix within a year.

So, I'm assuming your response is that you aren't aware of anyone that has successfully done this, right?

Know anyone running SLX in a thin VMClient or Microsoft App V?  Guess they had tried the later but were having issues with the sync server not processing the packages for some reason.

Cheers,

Jeff

Please use plain text.
Employee
EmmaNixon

Microsoft App V isn't supported with SLX and is known to cause sync issues.

Office 2010 isn't supported on 7.5.1 and I suspect you'll encounter issues with that, same goes for Windows 7 unfortunately.

Please use plain text.
Gold Super Contributor
RJLedger

Re: SalesLogix LAN v7.5.1 and Windows 7 / Office 2010

Good points Emma.

We tried to run SalesLogix "pre 753" on WIndows 7 and ran into all kinds of issues w/Activities/History w/the app crashing because of enumerations failing to "resolve". It's a waste of time to even try.. Especially if you have sync.

So they have a couple of choices:

A - Don't migrate to WIndows 7 (probably not a choice)

B - Upgrade SalesLogix - the packaging to do LAN clients should be VERY easy 

C - If they are changing CRM.. then just do it now.. (far bigger issue than doing "B")

Final answer - no silver bullet here.. 

--
RJ Ledger - rjledger@rjlSystems.net +1 603.369.3047 x101

".. Innovators in Mobility - Experts in Workflow Automation..."
http://www.rjlSystems.net - blog: www.rjlSystems.net/blog.html
Please use plain text.
JWLambert

Thanks Emma, I'll pass this along.  Is Office 2010 supported on the current version?  The last note I saw in this forum, that was back in September, was that it wasn't but a HF was coming out to address the issue.

Please use plain text.
JWLambert

Re: SalesLogix LAN v7.5.1 and Windows 7 / Office 2010

Thanks RJ.  I'll pass this information along.  It's all very helpful.  As far as packaging the client being easy, you'd be surprised.  The packaging group has hated SLX for years now.  Like I said, it's a very locked down environment.

As for 7.5.4, how stable do you think this RC is?

Cheers, Jeff

Please use plain text.
Employee
EmmaNixon

Office is supported with 7.5.3 and a couple of Hot Fixes.

That said, Augusta is due by the end of the month (subject to beta feedback) so I would wait for Augusta and get the new fixes and functionality. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
JWLambert

Your response was too quick for me to add, MS Office 2010 64-bit.  The chart I just looked at notes 32-bit only.  I'll go dig up some info on Augusta.

Did I mention the timeframe here is quite short, something like the first to middle of July.  In the past, whenever we start the packaging process it seems like a new HF is released.  Guess it isn't much different than many client-server apps.

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Employee
EmmaNixon

Ah.  64bit Office won't be supported, we currently only support 32bit and that will be the same for Augusta.

I believe 64bit Office is under review for Sawgrass, but nothing is decided yet.

Please use plain text.